Thursday 30 July 2015

The Miniaturist by Jesse Burton


Reading this book had proven to be an unexpected delight, as this is not my usual genre.
First of all, a heads to the writer Jesse Burton for choosing a very intriguing cover which had caught my attention from a bookshelf at Sainsbury's.
And as a hungry reader hunting for my next prey, I am sometimes tempted to choose a book by its cover. And as a result, I received a different edition of the book cover from Amazon. But that didn't obviously stop me from reading the story.

And here is my rating - ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ 

Nella Oortman Brandt arrives in Amsterdam to live with her new husband. She finds nothing in her married life as she expected to be. Her husband, a merchant, is always busy and distant, her strict and religious sister in law, and the modest servants makes Nella feel like a stranger and unwanted. When her husband gives her a dollhouse fashioned out of a huge cabinet as a wedding present, thus begins Nella-s encounter with the Miniaturist. She hires the mysterious person to create a few items for the dollhouse, and soon Nella finds the Miniaturist may mean something more to her life. With the dolls and furnitures of intricate and complex design begin to resemble the people and things that she meet in real life, she begins to search for the Miniaturist-s intentions and the meaning of her message, before everything keeping her household together falls apart..

The novel was overall quite enjoyable. My only disappointment being that nothing about the Miniaturist's identity is revealed. I hope this doesn-t count as spoiler, but if you are reading this post as an advice for your reading decision, then this is something you ought to know in order to prevent any future regrets. 
Nevertheless, I find Jesse Burton a genius in describing every aspect of the characters, their objects and their lives into minimum details. She has a gift in narrating this odd story. She made me want to own a doll house of my own with miniature pieces! But perhaps, minus the drama it has brought to our poor Nella. And as I was reading it, I was reminded of the time I was reading "House of the Spirits" by Isabel Allende at my English class last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

cursor credit