Thursday 30 July 2015

The Selection by Kiera Cass


I read a lot, and everyone who knows me is constantly aware of that.
But whenever someone asks me about my favourite book, I go blank. All you passionate readers can relate to that, I'm sure? We just have so many books that we've grown to love!
''The Selection'' by Kiera Cass has a definite place on my top list. It's a timeless novel that I keep coming back to, and every time I read it, it is as if I were reading it for the first time.
RATING: ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ 
''The Selection'' is a series that consists of 3 books: ''The Selection'', ''The Elite'', and ''The One''. (Although Kiera Cass has written other novels related to the same plot too. I haven't read them yet so I can't say anything about those books.)
Extraordinarily well-written, full of romance and suspense and great sarcasm and humour.


Some had also compared the book to ''Hunger Games'' because of a few things that match. A competition across the country, a love triangle,          Sounds famigliar? No wonder for the readers to imagine a Katniss Everdeen minus bow and arrow in a princess dress and crown!
However, America Singer is just as well praise-worthy.
In the fictional country of Illéa, the population is divided into Factions, that marked their futures and their identity the moment they are born. A competition to choose a future queen and bride for the prince, the Selection, is held that welcomes all young maidens from any faction to participate.
While all the girls in the nation are excited and dream of marrying Prince Maxon and become a princess, America Singer has no interest or intention to even consider the idea of signing up for the Selection. She is happy in her own modest Faction and poor, small home with a loving family. She doesn't want the crown. She is happy with her Faction occupation: music, and has ambitious plans for her future, and she is in love with Aspen. She doesn't want to marry the Prince.
However, one thing leading to another with her family wanting to give her a shot at a better future and a quarrel with Aspen, heartbroken and lonely America ends up in the castle with the other Selected girls on the first night of the Selection. She meets Maxon, and he turns out to be completely different to a spoiled, grumpy and rude prince she had imagined him to be.
She is not there for love, nor can she go back home just yet. As an unexpected friendship blooms between the two, and Maxon trying to find his true love from the Selection, America duels in the past and tries to find a way to listen to her heart again. And when she discovers a dark secret to Illéa's history, she knows she has to stay no matter what in the Selection and bring the nation to justice.
Overall, I loved the narration style. Kiera Cass is the queen of cliffhangers. She writes brilliant humour, lovely sarcasm = all that makes it into a modern fairytale with as fewer cliches as possible.

Now, I am probably being terribly biased, and I can't add any enlightenment to the whole novel and series as much as I want because the last time I read it was months ago. And since I will be reading it again this summer, I will adjourn this entry very soon.
Meanwhile, if you are reading this, you should definitely go ahead and read this book, if not the whole series. Take it from me, you will not regret it! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

cursor credit