Tuesday 1 March 2016

''ALMOST DEAD: A Murder Mystery'' by James J. Murray

ALMOST DEAD: A Murder Mystery


Rating: ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪   4/10
Book cover rating: ✪  ✪ ✪  1/5

One book in one gif:

cat kitten kitty reading sun tzu








This will be a very short and quick book review, because there really isn't much to discuss here. I am trying my best not to sound mean or disrespectful to the author throughout this review. I mean, it is a really good story, don't get me wrong.
Maybe I read this book in a rush or it's because I have been tired for the past couple of days. I did enjoy reading this a lot in the beginning, but towards the middle of the book it felt like the reader (me) was being shot with way too many details and scenes. The pace became slow and.. I don't know, the thrill I got at the start just wasn't there anymore. The ending was a little predictable and there were lots of cliches, but overall I really liked how the suspense was created in the beginning and the novelty and originality of the mystery (corpse waking up 24 hours later) definitely deserves a big thumbs up, which is what got me to read the book in the first place.

This will probably not be my best or very helpful review if you are planning on checking this book out. My advice is if the mystery still interests you after my review, then go ahead and read it and let me know what you think! We can then discuss our thoughts and insights about the plot together.

Synopsis

Detective Rosie and Detective Vince Mendez meet a very peculiar case. Two victims die in their own houses, only to turn up alive less than 24 hours later and resume their lives as if nothing happened. They don't even remember that they had died! At first glance, Sandy Dunn and Gerry Mason seem to have nothing in common apart from the similarities of their ''murder''. The ongoing investigation leads one clue to another, and soon Rosie and Vince realize there is a much bigger picture they had missed.


Discussions and thoughts (NO SPOILERS THIS TIME, YEY!) 

 I'm not sure if this book is part of a series, but there really isn't any character development or background information and the lack of it was really showing.
The main character, Rosie, eventually became a little irritating to me. She is supposed to be this really tough and determined woman, very smart at her job and gets impatient quite easily, and this has been pointed out throughout the book a couple of times. Perhaps it's just because I have been studying as a medical student, and I tend to get irritated when people ask me to ''Speak in English!''. She is just not the kind of protagonist I usually read about, so yeah, she is different but okay.
Vince, on the other hand, is really funny and has quick wits, perhaps my favorite character from this novel. He has this nice balance of a cool and friendly guy but also a serious and resourceful detective.

I really appreciated the medical references and psychological terms, which gave me something new to learn. There certainly are many twists, but none that actually surprised me in a way I didn't see it coming. The plot thickens and there are way too many things going on, but if you think about it this is how a real-life investigation goes. You have no leads to follow and the next minute there are clues all over the place. It started with Sandy and Gerry dying in their apartments, and then their bodies disappear before they get taken to the morgue. The two survivor show up in their houses, not remembering anything that has happened before they were attacked, nor could they explain how they got back to their homes with their old clothes on. Rosie and Vince find that the victims are vaguely connected through third parties and what happened to them was just a collateral damage to a bigger crime.


Memorable quotes

“It’s like a memory in stereo.” - Sandy




No comments:

Post a Comment

cursor credit