Sunday 7 February 2016

Korean/ Japanese TV Shows you NEED to watch


From my experience, nothing can compare to Korean tv shows. These are the only few I have watched, and they have stayed within my favorites for a long time.  From my last post, I have discussed my preference for Korean music. Today I would like to share a few Korean dramas I have watched and found a special place in my heart.



1) You Who Came From The Stars



This. Show. Oh my God. I don't even know where to start.
Mystery, aliens, romance, star-crossed lovers, superpowers, sassy sarcasm, philosophical conversations, humour, and a remarkable storyline that plays with your emotions. What's not to like?
If you make it to episode 12, to the scene where Do Min Joon cries, this drama will become a piece of your soul. You cannot have enough of it! Bwahahahaha!

Synopsis: 
400 years ago, a group of aliens came to Earth for a mission. Among them, Do Min-Joon, strays too far away from the group and wanders to a nearby village. He saves the life of a little girl, which then results in him not making it back in time to the spaceship. He gets left behind, and together with his new found friend, explores the human culture which intrigues him so much. Do Min-Joon possesses the power of teleport, freezing time and super-sharp senses, as well as a long life-span and slow aging. An unfortunate chain of events causes the girl to die while he tries everything to protect her, leaving him devastated.
Centuries later, Do Min-Joon is now a professor in a modern day college. Having lived so long with new experiences and people, he decides to distance himself from society, with the exception of one good old friend who knows his secret (I forgot his name, sorry!). He plans to live a quiet and uneventful life until the time comes when he can finally return home to his planet. That is until he meets top actress Cheon Song Yi, who resembles the little girl from his past as a grown up. Loud, sassy and confident diva, and Do Min-Joon really wants nothing to do with her, but whenever she is in trouble. from her career falling apart to becoming the target of a criminal, he can't help but protect her even if his identity is at stake.

Episodes: 21

Original language: Korean

2) Death Note



I've read Death Note. I watched the anime Death Note. I watched the live action movie Death Note. And  I breath Death Note.
So when this show came out in 2015, you could bet I would watch the heck out of it.

This show has changed lots of things from the original manga and anime, but I dare say that I love this version better.
Light Yagami is shown to have natural feelings and not portrayed as just a justice-hungry psycho. He accepts the power as Kira slowly, first he repulses wit with fear and then embraces it with determination. You know, like a normal human being would. And I loved seeing that in this show, therefore making the ending a lot sadder. No spoilers from me.

And L. Now, he is the star. He is not the L you remember from the manga, like at all! He likes playing games of cat and mouse, challenges, smirks, childish, handsome as hell,
The actor Kento Yamazaki was absolutely brilliant with creating L's role from scratch to this. I think this twisted version of the character could have seriously failed hadn't been for him.
And N, who was such an underrated and unnecessary character in the anime

Do you really need a synopsis? **Sigh** Okay, here you go. Watch the trailer (remember it is different from the manga):


Episodes: 11
Original language: Japanese


3) Showtime with B2ST



Okay, I am not only recommending this show because I am huge fan of B2ST (fandom known as B2TY), but hear me out. The show is really good and hilarious. I have watched this show more than once. The members are so funny and real. And mind you, I am usually very cynical about reality shows and despise them, but this one is my best exception.
You know what, just give the first episode a try and come back here and tell me you're not in love with them. I care not for your gender, I challenge you!

Synopsis: Well, just a reality show that features the members of idol group of B2ST:
(from left to right) Lee Kikwang, Yong Junhyung, Son Dongwoon, Yang Yoseop, Jang Hyunseung, and Yoon Dojoon.
In every episode, they carry out challenges, games and aim to reveal their true personalities to their fans.

Episodes: 12
Original language: Korean



4) Let's Eat 



I only watched Season 1. If you love eating, you will enjoy this show. Food, spread with comedy and a sprinkle of mystery are the perfect combination. I would also like to add that ''Let's Eat'' drama has the best and the happiest ending in the entire history of tv shows. Like seriously, it satisfies you in every aspect of the storyline.
The theme of the show is just that individual people, with different lives and conflicts, can really all come together just to enjoy and bond over food.
Just don't watch any of these episodes with an empty stomach. I am not kidding, you have been warned!

Synopsis:
Let's Eat depicts the daily life and romance of a single woman and a murder case occurs in her neighborhood.

Lee Soo-Kyung  is a single woman who lives by herself and leads a regular life. She always wants to carry herself with dignity, but she loses self-control when she is near gourmet foods.

Koo Dae-Young (Yoon Doo-Joon) is a gourmet, especially talented with describing the taste of foods. He often lies when he opens his mouth, but he is usually considerate to others.

Episode: 16
Original language: Korean


Bonus tip: If you can't find any of these shows with English subs, try kissasian.com. You're welcome!


And that's all! Have you watched any of those?
Let me know in the comments below. Leave me any suggestions for shows I could watch next and I might include them on this list!

^_^


No comments:

Post a Comment

cursor credit