Saturday 6 February 2016

Why I like Korean music

My life is like a culture salad. I constantly find myself involved from one world to another, and let me tell you why.


  • I was born in Bangladesh.
  • When I was 3 years old, my family and I moved to Italy, where I lived until I turned 18.
  • In most Asian countries, Indian movies and drama series are highly popular. So I basically grew up watching those as my family watched them, and gradually apprehending the language and their culture too.
  • Despite living Italy, I did my middle school and high school education in an English international school.
  • In high school, I got this crazy obsession for anime and manga, and I became really intrigued by all things Japan.
  • As required throughout the course of your education, you have to learn a secondary language. I had Spanish
  • I love listening to Korean music, as well following a few Korean tv shows, which were never disappointing. I will talk about that next time. 
  • Immediately after my graduation, my family and I moved to London

So yep. 
Did I mention I will be starting French and Chinese soon? hehe.

Okay enough about this, it's story time. 

Once upon a time 
It was a dark and stormy night

I remember two girls back in school that were so into Kpop there was no way out. (IF you're reading this, you guys rock! :D ) I found it amusing how one could learn to love a kind of music whose words you did not understand. It was not until two years later that I really started appreciating that. I mean, loving the songs even when you don't actually understand at first what they mean really means that you are looking
Now it's not like I only used to listen to English music. I had Italian and Hindi already on my playlists. But Korean was a language that was alien to me, except for a few words my uncle, who had lived in Korea for a few years, had taught me. 
I was satisfied with the music I had, until one day I stumbled on this music video: 


It's called ''Going Crazy'' by Song Ji-Eunft. Bang Yong-Gook.




The song is so beautifully haunting, but pay attention to the lyrics. If you are too lazy to watch it, let me tell you what's it about and my first impression. 
The music video starts with the main singer, driving _________
Then in the end she opens the trunk to reveal a man tied up. She then puts kerosene oil over him and the car and sets it on fire. 
At first I was like, this has got to be a crazy and dark version of ''Blank Space'' by Taylor Swift, where a girl gets upset over a breakup or bla bla bla. 
But no! Hold on! 
I wanted to understand what the video was actually really about, so I searched for the translation of the lyrics and VEUUUUUUM! The sound of falling into a rabbit hole. Welcome to Kpop Wonderland, darling! 

The lyrics explained what was going on in the video: the song was about the main singer's character being troubled by a sick and obsessed stalker lover to a point she couldn't take it anymore. So being the badass she is, she takes him hostage and set fire to her tormertor. 
The lyrics were also a work of art, and it pretty much reminds of the tone from Rihanna and Eminem's both versions of ''Love The Way You Lie''. Here Song Ji Eun is the voice of the girl scared beyond her wits, and Bang Yong-Gook voices the sick mind from the point of view of a stalker. It's brilliant, I tell you. 


After that video, I watched a couple of more videos from the Youtube suggestions. This experience is a really good example of how you should never judge a book by its cover; let alone ignoring something because you can't understand it.  
Korean artists are so talented! Look up any music video to see the difference between Western music. For them, it's not just about the music, but they pay so much effort and attention to their choreography, group member chemistry, and portraying a unique style and profile! 
And in fact, in the Korean music industry, it takes a lot of time and hard work to even make a debut act let alone reaching up to become an idol! 

I want to make a few suggestions for some songs from my top 10 favourites. Now, if you are already a Kpop fan who is reading this, note that the ranking is just my opinion and I mean no disrespect to your favourites. Enjoy!

***THESE ARE NOT THE ORIGINAL VIDEOS. I HAVE FOUND THE ENGLISH SUBBED VERSIONS FOR YOU, SO IF YOU LIKE THEM. CHECK OUT THEIR MAIN YOUTUBE CHANNELS AND HIT THE VIEWS!***

1) B2ST - ''Fiction''



(aka the story of my life)
Okay, this was honestly so hard to choose one song only. B2ST is really the most talented idol group I have come across so far. They were also the first group from Kpop I had discovered. The members have a unique charisma of their own. Poetic lyrics, outstanding choreography and great concepts. I mean, just watch this video! 

2) BIG BANG -''Bang Bang Bang''




Big Bang is a huge hit in Korea. And I love love this song! I am convinced it can bring out anyone's party spirit animal, no drinking necessary. Seriously, you don't even need to know what they are talking about to enjoy the song! 
(Sorry I couldn't find the English subs for this music video, but look at these guys' expressions. They must have had tons of fun filming this!) 


3) GIRL'S GENERATION - ''I Got A Boy''



You might have heard of them. They are probably the most popular girl group right now. They are really energetic and flawless dance choreography. This video really ignited my passion for learning dancing.


4) EXO - ''Lightsaber''


They are probably the most well known in the worldwide music industry. True to their name, their concepts are definitely out of this world. They also made the Korean soundtrack for the new Star Wars movie. 


5) GOT7 - ''A''

Fun and fresh concepts that just sticks with you. GOT7 are really so vibrant and colourful all the time, I would say they are the ''happiest'' idol group.


6) C-CLOWN - ''Let's Love''




If you have watched this music video, you must have loved it. I was so sorry to find them so late because the band has retired not too long ago. Bold and fantastic song!


7) BTS - ''Run''


Their most popular song right now and catch as hell. I love most of BTS music videos.


UPDATE 27 MAY 2016: I can't believe I've put BTS as number 7!! Like seriously, after watching all their music videos I fell in love with their concepts!! The MVs are all connected together and if you check the BTS MV theories on youtube, it will blow your mind! There is a bigger and chilling story behind, but again it could all just amount to nothing. Nevertheless, BTS is growing in popularity all over the world, and the teamwork and talent among the members has a charm that is hard to resist.




8) 2NE1 - ''Lonely''



I didn't mean to put them so low on the ranking list. 2NE1 are basically the queens of Kpop and always come up with new and wild concepts. It's just that I haven't explored all of their music yet. 

9) 4MINUTE - ''Silly Boy''



4Minute are the best in their field when it comes to switching up their styles, from girly to badass, at anytime.

10) CNBLUE


I'll be honest. I only know this song from CNBlue (for now), and I'm lovin it!! 


BONUS!

TROUBLEMAKER


If you're a big fan of spy/detective concepts, like James Bond or Lupin the Third, you WILL love this music video. ''Troublemaker'' by Jang Hyunseung from B2ST and Hyuna from 4Minute. mentioned above. I'm no expert but I bet this song was probably the catchiest in Kpop history. 



Phew! That was a pretty long list. I hope you enjoyed these videos, and may have found one to add to your favourites too! Feel free to link down your favourite songs in the comments and I will definitely check them out.

^_^ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

cursor credit